American Cemetery and Memorial – Netherlands and Luxembourg

For the third installment of “Digging into the Archives-Europe 2005,” I would like to share photos that are very special to my family. We visited the Netherlands American Cemetery and Memorial and the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial on our way to Brussels from Frankfurt.The Luxembourg American Cemetery is located in Hamm, Luxembourg and General S. Patton is buried here. Then we headed to Netherlands American Cemetery and Memorial where my husband’s great uncle, Winder Lane, is buried. He went to fight for our country during World War II and was killed in action in his early twenties. Our visit to the grave site was the first family visit in over forty years. It was such an honor to see that cross and to be able to see my husband experience it. It was a true honor to bring pictures to my husband’s grandfather, Winder’s brother, of my husband and son with the cross. It is a moment that I will treasure forever.

The Mourning Woman Overlooking the Reflecting Pool

Thanks so much for stopping by and allowing me to share this important family moment with you.

Head over to DeliciousBaby for other Photo Friday pictures.

Comments

1. 1
    Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish says:

What a very special trip. I can only imagine how moving it must have been for you and for your family back home. Thanks for sharing.

2. 2
    Marina K. Villatoro says:

That’s a great picture. Mass cemetaries and memorial places don’t really exist in Central America. They should, there certainly has been mass military murders here!!!
    The Travel Expert(a) and an Expat with a Twist

3. 3
    kidsgowest says:

What a great experience. I love it when travels take you to a place that has such meaning for your family. I won’t ever forget visiting my grandparents’ graves with my mom, in Argentina.

4. 4
    Lorraine says:

The 3rd photograph of the cross amidst that sea of crosses is so striking. Thanks for sharing that moment.

5. 5

Great photo. Very touching as well to see all the rows and rows of crosses spread out over the field. I hope they have a sort of navigational tools to help you locate whichever particular grave you want to visit!

6. 6
    Mara from Motherofalltrips says:

I’ve never been to this cemetery, but have been to the one in Normandy, and it was very moving. Thanks for sharing your story and these beautiful pictures. The one of your great-uncle-in-law’s cross is very special indeed.

7. 7
    1217620103s654 says:

Wonderful memories, thanks for sharing!

8. 8
    Peter Carey says:

I can only imagine what it meant to your husbands grandfather to have you take the time to visit. That’s a great story, thanks for sharing.