The beginning of June means that it is blueberry time down here in the South. The blueberries are almost ready and we will be picking pounds and pounds of them next week! I know that it is time to go blueberry picking because I just finished up the last bag of frozen blueberries that we picked from last year.
I love blueberry picking with the family because the blueberry bushes are tall enough so that the adults don’t have to stoop and they are low enough so that the kids don’t need a stool to reach!
My daughter loved to pick the blueberries but once she realized how tasty they were, she was often found sitting in the middle of the blueberry bush eating! She wasn’t much help after that!
Big S loved to pick the blueberries, but he still refuses to eat them!
These are the things that we take blueberry picking so that it makes the adventure an easy and fun one:
- bottled water – The sun starts beating down quickly and you will be glad you remembered your water.
- an empty cooler – If you plan on picking more than a bucket full, you will want to bring an empty cooler to put the berries in. If you put the bags or buckets of berries on the ground for an extended period of time, the potential for ants finding said bucket increases exponentially!
- bubbles or something equally quiet – The kids lasted for quite some time but they were definitely done picking blueberries before we were finished. The bubbles kept them occupied while we finished picking.
- plastic bags – for storing your blueberries when your bucket is full
- cash – Most places take cash only. The farm we went to did take checks.
Here are some blueberry patches in our area:
What are your favorite U-pick items?
Stop by DeliciousBaby to see where other travelers are this week!